Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gabrielle's Christmas Spirit

This Christmas, Brendon and I wanted to help our children experience the joy that comes from sharing. We decided to adopt a family through the Salvation Army. and were fortunate enough to get a family with 4 children nearly the same ages and genders as our children. Benjamin and Naomi were thrilled, super excited to pick out gifts for their kids, but Gabrielle wasn't. She told me flat out that she didn't want to spend any of our money on someone else's family.

I explained to her that she was going to get to pick out presents for a little girl just her age. I told her that the little girl probably wouldn't get presents if we didn't buy them. I also told her that we were doing it because it made me feel good inside. I can't say I had her convinced, but she didn't complain when it was time to go shopping Monday evening.

We went to Toys 'r' Us and the children all picked out their gifts. Gabrielle seemed happy helping to choose some Barbie stuff for her girl. When we got into the car to drive home, Gabrielle piped up "I want to do another family now." We explained to her that we really could only do one family.

I am just delighted that she finally caught the spirit of the occasion and that she is learning to enjoy sharing.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

That story really cracks me up. I can totally see Gabby being upset. I am glad that she ended up having fun. That is awesome to adopt a family for Christmas.

Tiffani said...

I love Gabby... she just makes me smile!